Thursday 23 October 2008

"Born to drive responsibly at all times!"

New bikes safe from possible scratches

The Scottish Ambulance Service this week took delivery of nine 1200cc BMW touring motorbikes this week to provide a faster service in Scotland's cities. Here we interview one of the paramedic bikers chosen to provide the new service.


The JT: So tell me, how do you see the new bike helping provide a better service?

Biker: Well, what you've got to remember is that this baby, the BMW R1200 RT, is a real advance on the R1200 GS, they've upped the overall power to 110bhp with a Nm of 115.

The JT
: Meaning, I take it that, the bike is quite fast?


Biker
: Fast? I'll say! 0 to 62 in 3 seconds. And its top speed is on the toppy side of 120. If you catch my drift...
.

The JT
: So, fast bike, fast response time to the scene of an accident, faster treatment for the patient?


Biker: Y-e-e-s, sort of. We'll need to see about that tho'.

The JT:
But my understanding is that the bike will be fitted with panniers containing all the equipment the attending paramedic needs to stabilise the patient's condition.


Biker:
Yep, that's the problem right there, you see. Too much weight on the backend, talking a black hole in performance terms. I suppose I could carry a packet of plasters, some paracetamol, stuff like that.


The JT:
I see, well I suppose it's something at least that the service will be able to get through busy city streets quicker.


Biker:
Hmm, don't know about that...


The JT
: What, you don't know if it will result in faster response times in urban environments?


Biker:
Yeh, see it's the city thing I'm concerned about...


The JT
: In what sense?


Biker:
Well, I don't want to risk the bike getting scratched do I?


Inside: NB: please note that the new service will be positioned at that tea hut at the Rest and Be Thankful. When phoning with a life threatening emergency be sure to ask for Les.


No comments: