Wednesday 4 August 2010

Grace under pressure

You wouldn't know it to look at me of course but your editor is something of a classical music fan. I don't know much about it but I know what I etc. Specifically I adore "The Lark Ascending" by Vaughan Williams. As the creator of one of the most evocative soundscapes in the early 20th century canon, the guy is the absolute dog's bollocks. Too English? Fuck no. I've MP3'd The Lark on the top of a Scottish hill and been completely blown away. Listen to the piece and think about your favourite Scottish landscape. It just works. 
Beautifully.
Which brings me to Nicola Benedetti. Despite flu and an understandable attack of nerves, Nicola with the Scottish Symphony Orchestra, paid a respectful transcendent tribute to this most English of composers at the Albert Hall as part of The Proms- that most English of music events.


Its starts about 1 hour .17 minutes in. 


Turn the phone off and climb a Munro of the imagination.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t7xvr/BBC_Proms_2010_Prom_23_Foulds_Vaughan_Williams_Elgar_Part_1/

No comments: